The hand quilting on the New Wave is finally finished....in fact I've finished the whole thing but I'm awaiting some decent light for the photos. These photos pre-date the trimming and binding.
I've used the obligatory perle cottons, and I'm very pleased with the result.
I had some initial reservations about hand quilting on such a big and heavy item, and in particular about how I would manage the middle, but I managed to pull it off. Practice makes (nearly) perfect. My hand quilting has definitely progressed since I did this little pre-cursor.
I found that a thimble was absolutely essential, and over the course of the first few rows I got the hang of it - up until then the thimble just felt clumsy and cumbersome. I didn't use a hoop, just grabbed handfuls of the quilt with my right hand to pull it tight while sewing with my left (yes, I am one of those people).
As you can see, I had some *assistance* with the photographs.
She thinks all the quilts in the house are hers, and she doesn't tend to stay still for a decent photo.
I can't wait to show you the final quilt. I kept the zigzag edges when I trimmed it, and painstakingly bound all the funny shaped inside and outside corners. It's not perfect by any means, but I love it!
In other news, I've signed up for Katy's Swoon-Along, but I'm having difficulty deciding on fabrics....watch this space...I'm planning on making my mind up tonight!
Linked up here, here, here and here!